Saturday, May 02, 2009

My Review!

This is gonna short cause I am sleepy and have a long day ahead of me tommorow.



So it's drill weekend again and I am once again gone for two nights. The unit pays for the room and lunch, with the room comes coupons for a discount on food at the Denny's that is attached to the motel. I like Denny's but who wants to eat there all weekend.



Last night my room mate was laughing at her sister for trying to convince their parents into taking her to a Mexican restaurant that she wanted to go to. Ever since then I just wanted some Mexican food, but I wanted to go to one of those places that bring you chips and salsa when you sit down.



So tonight we do an Internet search for Mexican place to eat. My room mate is 110% against Tex-Mex she only wants original Mexican food cooked by true Mexicans, a Mom and Pop Mexican place, that's what she wants. I only spot one place on the net that looked like it may be what she is looking for. So we take off for this restaurant but find it to be closed!



Determined that I want Mexican food and she wants Mom and Pop we start driving. We are just driving around and all of the sudden she is doing a u-turn and saying there it is!!! She had spotted a place that she thought could be the place some one had told her about.



So we pull into Coronatdo's , as it turned out that wasn't the exact place she thought it was but it turned out all good any way. We open the door to go in and realize that the place was closed. The woman insist that its ok and we should come in and eat any way. The actually unstacked two chairs and pulled out a table for us! Now that is Mom and Pop service for you, no fancy restraunt would do that.



The woman brought us a hand written menu, all in spanish and we proceeded to try and sort out what we wanted that they had. My friend ask for Barbacoa and the woman gets excited we have a language breakthrough!! lol



I have no idea what Barbacoa is so I ask my friend and she says its beef, just beef! However I am a little worried because the way she is telling me its beef I am thinking its not hamburger or steak. I waivered but ended up saying ok give me a bean burrito with cheese sauce and I will be ok and feel safe in my choice.



In the mean time another family comes in and are welcomed to come in and eat. I love that the people are so welcoming when just 5 minutes ago they where about to end their long day's work and head home to their own lives.



We had a Mexican Coke (apparently different from American Coke) and our food was ready very quickly. Our food is on the table and I realize that my friend has basically ordered Tacos made out of soft corn tortias, chopped beef and onions. I was like um why the odd name for tacos? But before I can ask she pops one of the tacos on my plate. I ate the whole thing before I ever touched my burito. It was good and I thought nothing of.



We finish up and get ready to leave. OMG we only have ATM cards with us and the darn sign behind the registar (which by the way is the only English in the place and we missed it!) says CASH ONLY! So my friend takes of for the ATM while I stand there looking sort of dumb and trying to explain that my friend went to get cash.



The woman's son turns up with his two young children to run the cash registar and help close up for the night. He speaks more English and insist that we don't worry about the bill cause he knows that no one carries cash and its a real pain to not be able to use your card.



Apparently they have only been open about 2 weeks and have not been able to get a card reader because they need a phone/fax machine and are actually having trouble getting the phone company to come and install it. Now I may be way off as we had a language barrier but I swear she said that the phone company wont turn on the phone because they tried to pay for it in Mexican money and the phone company wouldn't take it! again I may have miss understood. But I still found it funny.



My friend whips in with the cash and we pay and leave. I am going on and on about how much I love the whole Mom and Pop atmosphere when my friend ask if I like the Barbacao. I loved it and thought it was great and on and on.. then she informs me that Barbacoa is "a certain barbeque technique using the head of the beef cattle. " OMG she fed me COW FACE!!!!

Still it was good food and most importantly the customer service was great and I think that we will go there on drill weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Cow face is usually called "cabeza" not "barbacoa"....are you sure you had cow face? I won't eat it, but I do eat barbacoa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive it was Barbacoa on the menu and the woman who served us called it Barbacoa, turns out that Barbacoa really refers to the way it is cooked and can be cow head, sheep or other meats.

    I looked both up on google,
    google defines Barbacoa in two ways:

    * Barbacoa generally refers to meats or a whole sheep slow cooked over an open fire and
    meat (usually cow's head) baked in an earthen pit
    library.spike-jamie.com/terms-mexican.html

    and Cabez is defined as In Mexican cuisine, it is used to describe the meat from a roasted head of a cow.

    The way it was explained to me was that Cabez is the name of meat from the cow head, but Barbacoa is used instead of Cabez when the meat has been cooked in a specific way. I had to go back and ask but turns out that what this place refers to as Barbacoa is barbecued cheeks of the cow.

    When I got to asking more questions at the trad

    ReplyDelete